Thursday, March 30, 2006

Buying A Bridge

Here's a great article by Mark Ebner, who spent 11 days undercover while going through Scientology's "tech" and "purif" in 1996, spending nearly $3,000 on audits in under two weeks before leaving.

I attended one last Scientology function, called Auditor's Day '95, which, in short, resembled a Nuremberg rally for the '90s. No brown shirts present per se, but the lockstep uniformity of 5,000 Scientologists packing the Shrine Auditorium applauding to a slide projection of Herr Hubbard sent a chill up my spine as cold as the one I felt when I saw those children lining up for liquids at the Purification Center.


Warning: the article contains one of the more disturbing photographs of Lisa McPherson after her death. It's not for the weak hearted.

4 Comments:

Blogger Xenuphobe said...

Wow. What a phenomenal article.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Thetan Lover said...

Wasn't it? I just love the "straight shooting" tone of the whole thing. I can't stand it when writers try and approach the subject with phoney objectivity.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Xenuphobe said...

Yeah - the whole sweaty upper lip thing was awesome. Great observation - I know just what he means.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Thetan Lover said...

Plus I love the way the guy just straight up admits he's hired prostitutes and done drugs right from the start. Like, go ahead and try to "dead agent" me after this...

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home