Friday, October 21, 2005

The Case of Robert W. Welkos

In an article reprinted from an edition The Quill magazine published in 1991, journalist Robert Welkos recounts his difficulties with the "church" a brief time prior to publishing an article in the Los Angeles Times examining Scientology.

In the late spring of 1990, shortly before the Los Angeles Times published a comprehensive series on the Church of Scientology by staff writer Joel Sappell and myself, a deliveryman arrived at my house and propped a large manila envelope against my front door. It was from a mortuary, and inside was a brochure extolling the benefits of arranging your funeral before you die.

"Investigate the pre-arrangement program at our memorial park now," the brochure read. "You'll be glad you did, and so will your family."

Curious, I telephoned the mortuary and asked why they had sent me the material. To my amazement, they didn't know they had and told me they never sent brochures unsolicited because it can be upsetting. They assured me they were always sensitive to such concems and that it would not happen again.

But it did.

Two days later, my wife caught a glimpse of a man hurrying down the front walk. By the time she opened the door, he was driving away, but left on the step was another envelope from the same mortuary.


The rest of the article is just as chilling.

1 Comments:

Blogger Xenuphobe said...

"NEVER agree to an investigation of Scientology. Only agree to
an investigation of the attacker . . . Start feeding lurid,
blood, sex crime, actual evidence on the attack to the press.
Don't ever tamely submit to an investigation of us. Make it
rough, rough on attackers all the way."

God - that's so blunt, so brutal. Chilling indeed.

5:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home